Particle accelerators are equipments that produce ion or sub-atomic particle beams with high kynetc energy; they are used non only for research purposes in experimental Physics (so called Big Physics), but also for industrial or medical purposes.
It’s our firm belief that present and future of both experimental physics and accelerator control systems requires a tight collaboration between researchers and industrial companies specialised in this area.
SIDeA is broadly experienced in control systems for accelerators, timing and synchronization sub-systems, current transformers, power supplies and radiofrequency sub-systems.
Our group of experts can be involved in developing dedicated systems, integrating or customizing systems already existing, at our premises or at client’s. SIDeA may develop full turn-key systems, proceeding from either client detailed specifications or experimental requirements, covering areas concerning electronic components and control systems and providing clients with support and training when system design and production are underway.
Among documented experiences we mention:
- data acquisition integrated with beam diagnostic (Faraday cups, slits, current transformers, optical diagnostics),
- particle accelerator equipments,
- power supply control systems,
- RF e klystron modulating control systems,
- automatic alignment tools operating at cryogenic temperature,
- FPGA-based integrated solutions (pulse generators, digital function generators, delay units, and so on),
- timing and synchronization optical based boards,
- Ethernet distributed synchronization networks, SCADA solutions,
- Epic integration,
- OPC server development and integration with databases.
Among most important Sidea’s experiences in particle accelerators filed we mention the development of the whole control system of CNAO Synchrotron
(CNAO stands for National Centre of Oncological Hadrontherapy), that in 2011 started to treat cancer patients with sub-atomic particles called hadrons.